nova scotia journeyman logo

Audio Visual archivist & Nova Scotia restoration builder bring new life to church
Preservation & celebration of our heritage
Jodie Turner photos

church bell tower

Client: Jim Lindner
From 1887, St. Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church has stood sentinel along the shores of Nova Scotia's beautiful LaHave River. The cornerstone was laid July 14, 1901, the new church was built and furnished for $5,300 and dedicated January 19, 1902. The last service was held October 2, 2005.

After four years sitting vacant, and further deteriorating during this time, the building was purchased by Jim Lindner early September 2009. An Audio Visual archivist, he is passionate about preserving cultural heritage - which is precisely what he did during the next two years.

stained glass windows
detail

Click for larger photos throughout this page

beautiful church church front view

Testimonial: "If not for Warren's honesty, deligence and expertise, St. Mark's Place would not have happened. He made my hope and vision a reality. It is truly an honour to not only know, but to have worked with Warren."

Jim Lindner

Warren McAuley was called to the scene to repair a cornerboard, but the job grew . . . then grew some more.
Finally, 10 months later, Jim and his fiancé were married in the beautifully restored landmark.

back view of church nova scotia church

The care taken by both the owner and his builders was remarkable.
Jim tracked down aged photos of the original church and worked tirelessly to return the building to its former glory -
in a way that would preserve the structure for decades to come.
As for the (metal) roofing - what a job! The top of the spire is 95 feet off the ground. Most of the work done on it was forced to stop in the afternoon when the wind came up. "It may not feel like much wind at ground level," says Warren, "but it's a lot when you're up there."
Click for a Joan McAuley photo of her husband adding the crowning touch to the spire!

stage and lights

The builders spent a week in the attic - cleaning out decades of pigeon droppings
then upgrading the ceiling so it could support the complex light system and catwalks.

beautiful church church entry

Each stained glass window was removed from the building for restoration, then re-installed by Warren.
The restoration was done by Cranberry Stained Glass Studio & Supply of Halifax.
Throughout the project, Warren was joined by other local tradesmen including Michael Creaser of Riverport Metal Works who did all the ironwork.

restored chandelier church bell Church windows

The chandelier was restored.
Originally, a still-funtioning pulley system lowered the elaborate piece for lighting its kerosene lanterns, then raised it up again for the service.
The church bell was returned to its rightful bell tower housing - rebuilt with a precise eye to proper restoration.
These double stained glass windows are housed in original planking, uncovered during the transformation.

view from bell tower

Across the river, the LaHave River Yacht Club is easily visible from the bell tower.

view from bell tower

From the bell tower looking down the LaHave River towards Riverport, Nova Scotia.

top of page
website by LuckyDuck web design

© 2012 - 2016 Warren McAuley - all rights reserved